Saturday, June 11, 2005

Dr. Frog, Pako, Wack-ass Egyptians, Chinstrap

My new hometown friends are too poor to come to all the shows to which I go, so I went alone on Friday, June 10th, to the Middle East Upstairs and saw the event of my lifetime.

A rubber chicken up the bum

Wack-ass Egyptians

That funk hip-hop rock band from Boston was absolutely nutty. The vocalists were the drunkest vocalists I've seen since I first saw Black Helicopter, but that only made them better. Their drunken antics involved pouring beer on each other, humping the guitarist, and slow dancing with the bassist. At the end they gave out all their remaining beers. Absolutely awesome live performance and the music is great as well.

T-shirts were thrown on stage and one landed on the head of the keyboardist for Dr. Frog

Pako

After seeing the Wack-ass Egyptians my only thought was, "What could possibly out-do that?!" The answer: Pako. They wore masks and had a dedicated cowbellist, with an array of eight cowbells. Their music was fun but the performance was definitively excellent.

Pako's keyboardist gets down and rocks out

Dr. Frog

After seeing Pako my only thought was, "What could out-do that?!" The answer: Dr. Frog. Dr. Frog was a brilliant cross between The Dead Milkmen, The Left-Rights, and Anal Cunt. However, this was their final show; you're welcome to imagine how wild it was, but if it doesn't include a jackhammer then you need to keep imagining. Beer was thrown everywhere (I got a half-full can of Pabst Blue Ribbon right in the chest) and everyone walked home with a piece of a Dr. Frog instrument. This is the show that you'll be lying about going to in 20 years.

Dr. Frog's guitarist used a rubber chicken as a necktie

Chinstrap

After seeing Dr. Frog my only thought was, "What could out-do that?!" The answer: nothing. Chinstrap was a funk band whose vocalist was belligerently drunk and spent more time arguing with the audience than actually making music. I walked out halfway through from sheer boredom.

Chinstrap's vocalist, dressed as the devil

Tags: , ,, , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home